posts displayed by category
Here are some amazing concealers that are affordable at only £10.50 and under!
I love using these concealers to colour correct and at £4.00 each they are such a bargain! I love using the orange and green colour correctors depending on people’s skin tones.
This is another concealer that is great for dark circles. There are a few shades depending on your skin tone. It’s currently on sale for £3.75 and is usually £7.50, which is a great bargain!
There’s 24 shades in this concealer which is also full coverage. A little bit of product goes a long way.
Having won so many awards, I had to try these concealers out! There are 16 shades available and work well with their foundation too.
Available in 31 shades, here’s another great full coverage concealer. It’s creamy and blends really well.
You may have noticed your skin is drier than usual now that it’s winter. This is very common as the air is cold and dry and therefore evaporates the moisture from your skin quicker. There are some moisturisers that are better to use in winter compared to warmer months. You can then switch over to a different product during the hotter months.
Below are some tried and tested products that I would recommend using during the colder months to lock in that extra moisture.
This cream is thick enough to help dry winter skin but I definitely wouldn’t use it in summer as I find it too greasy and shiny, which can also cause spots when the skin is too oily. Perfect for winter though!
Even though this cream is more pricier than others it really does feel so good when you put it on. I love using this in winter as it has a creamy texture and makes skin so soft.
I used this as a go-to for a while and it really is great for dry skin as it has a creamy texture. It’s good to put this on at night too once you’ve cleansed your face.
I really feel like Aveeno saves my dry skin. I don’t use this in the day before applying makeup but I do love using it at night. Apply a generous layer once you’ve cleansed your skin before bed. You’ll notice when you wake up that your skin feels a lot better.
This cream is great for dry skin as it retains water in the skin. I also find this cream lightweight enough to use in warmer months too as it’s not greasy. So it’s a great moisturiser for all year round!
Other tips for dry skin
- Drink plenty of water to keep your skin hydrated
- Use a humidifier to add moisture into the air. This also helps with colds.
- Try some of these DIY face masks
Happy new year everyone! Hope you have a wonderful year ahead.
So have you got any new year’s resolutions this year or are you fed up of breaking them all the time that you’re not bothering this time round?
Often people decide to make drastic changes such as lose 2 stone in a month, eat no carbs, exercise everyday, drink no alcohol, etc. Sometimes these changes can be unrealistic to meet so it makes you feel worse when you don’t meet them. I’m going to be discussing ways you can be sure to stick to your new year’s resolutions to help you reach your goals and feel better.
- Choosing your resolutions – Sometimes you might have quite a few things you want to change but putting a lot of pressure on yourself will begin to backfire. Identify the most important things to focus on and try to accomplish those first. You can even split the year in two so focus on one thing for 6 months and then move on to the next later in the year depending on what it is you are trying to achieve.
- Keep resolutions realistic – By setting realistic goals it will be easier to achieve and you’ll feel so good when you reach your goal rather than feeling guilty and disappointed when you don’t reach something unrealistic.
- Set mini targets – When you set mini targets you will feel rewarded each time you meet them. This will make you feel more positive compared to just setting your main goal. For example, if you want to lose a stone you can aim to lose 1-1.5 pounds each week.
- Reward yourself – Rewards really help you to continue to your end goal but if misused can also undo all your hard work so make sure you are strict with rewards. If you want to eat healthy but your reward is a whole day worth of bingeing, then you’re just eating more than the calories you saved on all week! Instead of having a cheat day once a week, maybe have a cheat meal once a week or you could even have a small treat every day such as one biscuit with your tea instead of the usual slice of cake.
- Don’t be too strict – Don’t be too strict on yourself when you have an occasional slip up. Changes need to be made with the most positive mindset. Just because you’ve broken dry January already doesn’t mean you’ve failed for the rest of the year. You can still drink less than you usually would and feel better about it.
Whatever your new year’s resolutions are make sure you follow the above 5 steps to help you reach your target. Let’s stick to those realistic goals and enjoy the rewards when we reach those mini targets and end results! Happy 2020!
Learn the best techniques for applying flawless makeup and creating the perfect hairstyles for bridal and party looks. Here are some fantastic looks created by our students at the last academy.
Book onto our next academy now! Only 2 spaces left! 27th-31st January. Email [email protected]anumalhi.com for more information.
In the winter and cold weather I’ve noticed my skin becomes more dry. Having dry skin in winter is very common as the air is cold and dry and therefore evaporates the moisture from your skin more quickly. This can make your skin look flakey.
Tips for dry skin in winter
- You should definitely apply a good moisturiser in the morning and evening. I love using Aveeno every night as it really locks in the moisture.
- You should also avoid have long showers or baths as the skin’s oily layer can break down and cause loss of moisture.
- Use creams and products that are not perfumed as these can irritate dry skin causing itchiness and redness.
My favourite DIY face mask for dry skin
Definitely follow the above tips but also do this face mask 2-3 times a week and your skin will feel instantly smoother and softer!
Avocado, Honey & Vitamin E Mask
The avocado will lock in moisture and soothe dry skin. The honey will add a glow to your skin whilst the vitamin E will repair and protect your skin.
- Mash half an avocado.
- Add 1 tablespoon of honey.
- Add 1 teaspoon of vitamin E oil.
- Mix well.
- Apply the mask on clean skin for 30 minutes.
- Wash off with warm water and pat dry.
You’ll really notice a difference when you start doing this 2-3 times a week but often people notice their skin is improving straight away!
We had the most perfect getaway for our anniversary at the wonderful hotel, The Langley. Situated on 150 acres of beautiful gardens and parklands, it is the most luxurious little retreat in Buckinghamshire’s countryside.
Below are some photos from our stay.
Quick pic in the room before dinner
Love a cosy bar
Great food for vegetarian and meat eaters but would be nice to have more options for vegans
View at night
Lovely walk in our hotel wellies
A beautiful getaway!
Vitamin C serums are amazing for youthful, bright and glowing skin! You might be getting enough vitamin C in your diet but it’s difficult to know if your skin is getting enough, which is why using vitamin C serums is a great idea. It’s good to consistently use the serum after you have cleansed your skin and applied your toner. Below are some of the things vitamin C serums help with.
Reduces scars and pigmentation
Vitamin C is fantastic for brightening the skin as it focusses on scars and pigmentation without changing the normal skin pigmentation. The acidity gets rid of dead skin cells, which helps to speed up the growth of new skin cells. This then smooths the skins surface to give a youthful glow.
Vitamin C can boost the skins collagen production, which can tighten the skin. The more collagen in your skin, the more firmer it becomes.
Sunburns and wounds
Vitamin C serums are great for when you’re sunburnt. Vitamin C speeds up skin cell regeneration so the damaged skin cells die and are replaced with new ones. This works the same for wounds too.
Vitamin C has been shown to reduce redness and even out skin tone to create a brighter complexion and clearer skin.
Reduces dark circles
Vitamin C serums can hydrate the under eye area and help lighten the dark circles.
Once you’ve set your date and booked your venue, caterers are the next most important thing to decide on. We have listed some tips below on how to choose the perfect one!
Pick a cuisine
Depending on your wedding you will need to decide on a cuisine. Whether you’re doing Punjabi, Gujarati, English etc. you will need to research which caterers provide these cuisines.
Speak to your venue manager
The event’s manager at your chosen venue might be able to suggest particular caterers. They may only allow their own chefs to prepare the food in which case you cannot bring an external caterer. There might be an approved list of external caterers that your venue allow on site. In this case it is always best to find out what caterers can be used before deciding on your venue especially if you already have a particular caterer or cuisine that your venue does not provide.
Ask around for quotes
Like with all vendors you should research and pick a few caterers to contact for quotes. If some are out of your budget you can cross them off your list and enquire further with the others by arranging a meeting.
Meet the caterers
When you meet with the selected caterers you should ask the following questions:
- How many dishes can we choose for starters, mains, desserts?
- Are canapés included?
- Are soft drinks included?
- Price per head?
- A menu to choose from
- Is crockery, cutlery, linen included?
- How many waiters will there be for your number of guests?
These are the initial questions to ask.
Only some caterers allow you to try their food before making your decision. Other caterers will prepare a food tasting menu once you have confirmed your booking. If the caterers have a restaurant it might be a good idea to try their food beforehand.
Make your decision
And finally, make your decision!
Once this has been done you can discuss the following:
- Food tasting your chosen menu and giving feedback
- Confirm the number of people attending
- Confirm your dishes
- Decide what time each course will be served
There’s a lot of medication and creams that help with acne but if there was a way to treat acne with natural and non-chemical ways then I’m up for that! Green tea contains antioxidants, anti-inflammatories and antibiotics. It’s rich in something called EGCG that has shown to improve acne and also oily skin. I’ll be discussing the ways you can use green tea below to help keep your skin clear from acne.
Green Tea and Honey
- Get some loose leaf green tea or cut the tea bag open to use the green tea leaves
- Add 3 tablespoons of hot water to the tea leaves
- Add 1 tablespoon of manuka honey
- Mix the ingredients until a paste is formed
- Apply the paste on your face and leave it on for 20-30 minutes
- Wash off with warm water
- Apply this mask 2-3 times a week
You can make a green tea toner to apply on your face every night before going to sleep. Once you have done your usual skincare routine you can apply the green tea toner.
- Brew some green tea for 1-3 minutes
- Add ice cubes to cool it down
- Once cooled you can apply the green tea to your face with a cotton pad
- Keep this on overnight or if you have sensitive skin then rinse your face with warm water after 20 minutes
Drinking Green Tea
Start drinking 1-3 cups of green tea a day and after a few weeks you will notice an improvement combined with the masks above. Drinking green tea also helps your general health so you should feel better too. Just make sure when drinking or using the above masks that you buy pure green tea and none that contain added flavours or sugar.
Planning weddings can be exciting but stressful! There’s the usual things you need to plan for such as finding venues, caterers, etc. but there can always be smaller things that you should have planned for that can often be forgotten about or ignored completely.
Make an itinerary for the wedding day
- Know what time you need to be ready by and what time you will be leaving your house. Also note the latest possible time you can leave just in case you get delayed.
- Know the starting times of the ceremony and the latest you can leave the venue especially if your reception party is on the same day and even more importantly if you’re planning to have an outfit/hair/makeup change.
- Make sure you discuss with your DJ and caterers the time you will be entering for your reception so your guests are already seated.
- Also discuss with your caterers the time you would like starters, main course and dessert to be served.
Appoint a family member to be in charge
If you have a wedding planner this might not be needed for your ceremony or reception but it is always a good idea to appoint a family member to be in charge (not your mum or dad – they should be stress free too) and let all vendors know who this person is and their contact number. The last thing you want on your wedding day is to be hassled by vendors disturbing you and asking questions. At the end of the day you want the day to be your fairy tale moment and a trustworthy family member can deal with any questions or issues that arise without you even knowing!
Accommodating for extra guests
So you’ve made your seating plan after many stressful attempts and some people still have the nerve to show up on your big day even though they didn’t RSVP! Are you going to let them in?
You might decide to have an extra table laid out just in case more people do come along. However, if everyone has sent their RSVPs back to you then this might not be needed. Just note that most caterers will charge per head and will include that extra table as well even if no one sits there. This also goes for people who said they were coming but couldn’t make it on the day.
Pack an overnight bag
Whether your the bride or groom you might be having an outfit change or staying the night at a hotel. With the craziness of the wedding day make sure you don’t forget to pack an overnight bag.
Security for your home
With Asian weddings there’s usually a week’s worth of celebrations before the wedding and anyone who drives past your house will know about it. They may even know when the wedding day will be and therefore know when the house will be empty. It might be a good idea to hire a security company to stay outside your home to keep an eye on it. It’s unfortunate to have to consider this but it’s always better to be safe than sorry.
It’s always good to consider the above points when planning your wedding and I’m sure your big day will be completely magical!