for March, 2019
You can’t beat natural ingredients when it comes to skincare. If you’ve got dry, dull or oily skin and need a quick skincare fix just grab a few ingredients from the kitchen – chances are you’ll have most of them anyway!
Coffee grounds are great for exfoliating and getting rid of dry skin cells, revealing fresh and energised skin. Caffeic acid found in many plants and coffee is an antioxidant that reportedly boosts collagen and helps with wrinkles too. Coffee scrubs can also help with acne by unclogging pores and getting rid of excess oil.
Recipe: Simply mix 2 tablespoons of coffee grounds with 1 teaspoon of coconut oil. Scrub on your face for 30 seconds then wash off with warm water.
Coconut oil can be used to help treat acne as it has components to reduce inflammation. It contains vitamin E and essential amino acids to form part of the skin’s barrier function. It keeps the skin well moisturised as it’s absorbed quickly so doesn’t leave the skin feeling too greasy.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar can be used as a toner to help with breakouts due to its anti-inflammatory properties. It’s one of the best anti-bacterial and anti-fungal ingredient. It can also help balance the skin’s PH level, which helps to dry out spots and remove dead skin cells.
Mix 2 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar with 2 tablespoons of water. Use a cotton pad to soak the solution and rub into the skin.
Oatmeal is great for brightening up the skin. It can soak up excess oil from the skin to help treat acne and can also help your skin stay hydrated. It’s a natural cleanser and can unclog pores and remove bacteria.
Mix a quarter cup of warm water with 1 teaspoon of coconut oil and 3 tablespoons of oatmeal. Mix until a paste is formed and apply for 15 minutes. Wash off with warm water.
We’ve rounded up our absolute favourite concealers that we’ve been using for years ourselves.
Tarte Shape Tape Contour Concealer
This creamy concealer is one of our faves! It brightens the skin without creasing or flaking. A small amount can cover a lot, which is great for everyday wear or creating the ‘no makeup’ look. It can be layered for full coverage without caking, which is perfect for evening wear and nights out!
Image from Tarte Cosmetics
MAC Select Moisturecover Concealer
This liquid concealer is not only creamy but hydrating too. It has a medium buildable coverage so is quick and easy for everyday use. It’s great for the minimal makeup look and brightens the skin too.
Image from MAC Cosmetics
MAC Studio Finish SPF 35 Concealer
This concealer is lightweight but so concentrated that a little goes a long way. It helps to absorb excess oil without drying out the skin. This is perfect for nights out and bridal makeup.
Image from Look Fantastic
Too Faced – Born This Way Super Coverage Concealer
This concealer is super lightweight and hydrating so doesn’t leave any creases or look cakey. Similar to the Tarte Shape Tape Concealer, we feel a little goes a long way for an everyday look and can also be built up to look fab for an evening makeup look.
Image from Too Faced
LA Girl HD Pro. Conceal
And last but not least, this concealer had to get a mention! Not only is it super affordable but it does the job so well. All shades including the colour correcting shades work wonders! We love finding budget friendly products that work amazingly.
Image from Beauty Bay
So you’ve planned everything but still confused about your hair! Look no further…we’ve got you covered!
There are two types of brides – one who knows exactly what she wants and the other has a camera roll full of completely different looks with no idea! There are quite a few things to consider when choosing the perfect look so here’s a list of what we think will help you make your final decision.
1. Dupatta. Will you be wearing a dupatta on your head? This is usually required for some religious ceremonies and it’s important to have your dupatta with you especially when doing a trial or considering various hairstyles. If the dupatta is quite heavy, your hair stylist will have to consider extra hair padding to make sure the dupatta doesn’t compress the hair down too much. Usually, a bun is the go-to look whenever a bride is wearing her dupatta on her head.
2. Hair Jewellery. Are you thinking of wearing a tikka or other jewellery pieces in your hair? Your parting will depend on where these jewellery pieces are going to be placed, especially if you have a dupatta on your head too.
3. Face Shape. It’s a good idea to see what kind of hair style suits your face shape best. Before having a trial with your hair stylist or confirming your hair style choice, you can have a play around yourself. If you want an up-do, you can tie your hair in a low bun or pony and see how you like it. Then do the same but tying your hair in a mid pony/bun and then a high pony/bun. Have a think about what you prefer and your hair stylist will be able to suggest various up-do’s based on what kind of bun you want.
Low Bun – If you want a simple yet elegant look, a low bun is perfect especially for registry weddings.
Mid Bun – This is a popular option as a mid or high bun is great if you have a dupatta on your head. Mid buns look beautiful if your going for fresh flowers in your hair too.
High Bun – A high bun is great for that ‘face-lift’ effect and is perfect if your having a dupatta on your head too.
Here are some more of our fave hairstyles
All looks are created by Anu Malhi and the Anu Malhi team or students from the Anu Malhi Hair & Makeup Academy.
Your wedding will be the best day of your life – everyone knows you want it to be perfect! With all the stress about needing caramel coloured tablecloths and NOT just any old beige, you might forget to take care of your skin. If this sounds like you, start the below steps now and if you follow them religiously for at least 30 days leading up to the wedding day, you’re guaranteed to glow!
Follow the steps below to get flawless wedding day skin in just 30 days
1. Hydrate. Skin is the largest organ on the body and without sufficient water intake your organs won’t function properly or at their best. Drink 2-3 litres of water everyday to flush your body of toxins and improve skin radiance.
2. Green Juice. Make a fresh green juice everyday for breakfast to get in those vital vitamins and nutrients. Pack in as many veggies as possible for clear skin. You can keep it to vegetables only or add a piece of fruit for some sweetness. You’ll feel healthier overall with increased energy to focus on annoying tasks like chasing RSVPS for the umpteenth time!
3. Exfoliate. You should exfoliate 3-4 times a week to get rid of dead and dry skin cells. It also increases blood circulation in the skin, which helps to achieve healthy and glowing skin.
4. Face Mask. Use a face mask once a week for a deep cleanse to get rid of any makeup, dirt, oil, bacteria and dry skin cells. Choose a mask based on your skin type. Clay masks are great for oily skin to extract excess oil and tighten pores. Hydrating masks are perfect for dry skin. Use this time to relax and switch off from wedding stress.
5. Night Serum. Invest in a good night serum and apply every night before sleeping once you have cleansed your face. Once you find a preferred night serum you will fall in love again and notice better complexion and texture of skin, fewer breakouts and less shininess.
My ultimate fave night serum has got to be Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair. Synchronized Recovery Complex II
6. Sleep. Make sure you’re getting at least 7 hours of sleep every night. Lack of sleep can worsen existing skin problems such as acne by causing an increase of inflammation. During sleep your body’s hydration rebalances so lack of sleep can create puffy eyes, dark circles and wrinkles.
Follow these 6 steps at least 30 days before your big day. The earlier you begin the routine the better!